I took some photos of the various drum corps performing at last Saturday’s Legends Drum Corps Open. Please feel free to take a look at them. If you’d like to share any of the photos, please be sure to give me credit. Finally, if you’d like, you also have the option to join the Google Photos album for the show and add your own photos for everybody to see!
The 2017 Legends Drum Corps Open is taking place on just two days! You can find out everything you need to know about this and other shows with the DrumScorps app, powered by Drum Corps Planet. The app is FREE to download for iOS andAndroid. You can also subscribe for access to show recaps and to remove ads for just $1.99 a year!
Screenshots of DrumScorps’ Legends Drum Corps Open info:
The 2017 drum corps season is kicking into high gear as DCI begins its stretch of major regional events. This also means that drum corps is coming back to the Midwest soon! In two weeks, I’ll be providing LIVE From the Stands! coverage of the 2017 Emerald City Music Games competition in Dublin, Ohio, on Monday, July 31st. If you’ll be at the show, be sure to say hello!
It’s just one week away from the 2017 Legends Drum Corps Open, part of the DCI Open Class tour. As you may know, I will be covering the show for Drum Corps Planet as part of our LIVE! From the Stands series, as well as writing the show review for Drum Corps World. Being the 21st century, there is also a social media component to my coverage and the experience.
Finally, be sure to follow each of the corps on their social media accounts as they post photos and updates before, during, and after the show. You can find a list of drum corps social media accounts here.
- Colt Cadets
- Les Stentors
- Music City
- River City Rhythm
Whether you’re coming to the show or will be following along online, I hope to see you next Saturday!
One of the side benefits of living in the Midwestern United States is that a good portion of the annual DCI tour takes place within driving distance of my home, especially during the final few weeks of the season. After almost a month of no live drum corps blasting my face off, the time is coming for me to get my fix once again. You can join me as I’ll be providing LIVE From the Stands! coverage of the 2017 Legends Drum Corps Open competition in Three Rivers, Michigan on Saturday, July 22nd. If you’ll be at the show, be sure to say hello!
The 2017 drum corps season has started, and so has my show review season!
I reviewed two shows for the June edition of Drum Corps World. The first was the DCI Tour Premiere cinecast on Thursday, June 22. The focus of that review was on the technical aspects of the cinecast. A separate review of the performances is also in the June issue.
The second review was of the Innovations in Brass: Massillon show on Saturday, June 24. That review was a performance review of all 5 World Class and 2 SoundSport corps which performed that night.
You can find my cinecast review here.
You can find my Massillon show review here.
You can also find my LIVE From the Stands live blog coverage of the Massillon show here.
UPDATE: Photos I took during the Massillon show are located here. I’ve opened the album to allow you to add your photos as well!
Finally, the full digital edition of this month’s Drum Corps World can be found here.
Shows I am definitely attending:
- 2017-06-22: 2017 DCI Tour Premiere cinecast, Montrose Movies, OH (DCI) – DCW Coverage
- 2017-06-24: Innovations in Brass, Massillon, OH (DCI) – DCP/DCW Coverage
- 2017-07-22: Legends Drum Corps Open, Three Rivers, MI (DCI) – DCP/DCW Coverage
- 2017-07-31: Emerald City Music Games, Dublin, OH (DCI) – DCP/DCW Coverage
- 2017-08-05: Shoremen Brass Classic, Avon Lake, OH (DCI) – DCP/DCW Coverage
- 2017-08-07: Tour of Champions – Massillon, Massillon, OH (DCI) – DCP/DCW Coverage
- 2017-08-10: 2017 DCI World Championships Prelims cinecast, Montrose Movies, OH (DCI)
- 2017-08-12: SoundSport International Music & Food Festival, Indianapolis, IN (DCI) – DCW Coverage
- 2017-08-12: DCI World Championship Finals, Indianapolis, IN (DCI) – DCP/DCW Coverage
- 2017-09-01: DCA I&E and Mini Corps Competition, Rochester, NY (DCA) – DCW Coverage
- 2017-09-02: DCA World Championship Prelims, Rochester, NY (DCA) – DCP Coverage
- 2017-09-03: DCA Alumni Spectacular, Rochester, NY (DCA) – DCP Coverage
- 2017-09-03: DCA World Championship Finals, Rochester, NY (DCA) – DCP/DCW Coverage
DCI Live Webcast Schedule:
- 2017-06-25: DCI West, Stanford, CA (DCI)
- 2017-06-30: DCI Central Indiana, Muncie, IN (DCI)
- 2017-07-01: DCI at the Rose Bowl, Pasadena, CA (DCI)
- 2017-07-03: DCI Summer Music Preview, Cranston, RI (DCI)
- 2017-07-08: DCI Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN (DCI)
- 2017-07-20: DCI Central Texas, Belton, TX (DCI)
- 2017-07-22: DCI Southwestern Championship, San Antonio, TX (DCI)
- 2017-07-29: DCI Southeastern Championship, Powder Springs, GA (DCI)
- 2017-07-30: DCI Tour of Champions – NightBEAT, Winston-Salem, NC (DCI)
- 2017-08-04: DCI Eastern Classic, Allentown, PA (DCI)
- 2017-08-08: DCI Open Class Finals, Michigan City, IN (DCI)
I’ll be posting on the following accounts for the 2017 WGI Percussion Championships this week:
- Facebook – WGI page
- Twitter – @WGItweets and @WGIpercussion
- Instagram – @wgisportofthearts and @wgipercussion
- Snapchat – wgisnaps
- Periscope – wgitweets
- Tumblr – email@example.com (Crystal is heading the WGI social media team)
Those of you who live in Medina County have a special election coming up in the next couple weeks. For the county, there is an issue on the ballot regarding a proposed renewal and increase of a tax levy for the Medina County Library District. For Republicans, there are also votes on selecting candidates for Judge of the Municipal Court (term commencing on 1/1/18) and Clerk of the Municipal Court.
Here is the description of the proposed tax levy from the ballot, which you can find on the Medina County Board of Elections website:
A renewal of one and one-quarter (1.25) mills and an increase of one quarter (0.25) mill to constitute a tax for the benefit of Medina County Library District for the purpose of current expenses at a rate not exceeding one and one-half (1.5) mills for each one dollar of valuation, which amounts to fifteen cents ($0.15) for each one hundred dollars of valuation, for a period of ten (10) years, commencing in 2017, first due in calendar year 2018.
Considering the public good which our library system provides us, my opinion is that voting in favor of this issue is a no-brainer.
There are three names on the ballot for the Judge of the Municipal Court position: Gary F. Werner, Frederick C. Bougher, and Joe Salzgeber. There isn’t much about any of these options from my searching online outside of the generic coverage in the local newspapers. Salzgeber did get an endorsement in a letter to the editor, so he is currently my selection on the ballot as well unless I discover something new.
For the Clerk of the Municipal Court position, incumbent Nancy L. Abbott faces off against challenger Thomas C. Decker. Outside of the Medina Clerk of Court website and a re-election website for Abbott, there is nothing I’ve found regarding either candidate. Abbott is the first elected Clerk of the Municipal Court in Medina County. My personal rule is to vote against the incumbent to ensure there are fresh ideas in the position, especially when the term is for six years, so I am currently voting for Decker on May 2nd.
Be sure to visit the Medina County Board of Elections’ Current Election web page to look up your voter registration information, including your polling place and a sample ballot.
I have the honor of joining the WGI Social Media team this week in Dayton and Cincinnati, Ohio, helping to cover the events of the 2017 WGI Percussion and Winds Championships taking place from Thursday, April 20, through Sunday, April 23. If you and/or your performing unit will be at WGI this week, take a look below and see if we’ll be in the same place. If so, say hi! You might get a little famous. 😀
If you are going, here are the Facebook and Google+ event pages. Check in so I’ll know you’ll be there!