And so we come to the end, my friends. Once again, the Reading Buccaneers win the Open Class title, and deservedly so, while Carolina Gold pulls off an upset in Class A. Now it’s back to scanning Twitter and Facebook for videos and waiting for marching band season to start.
It’s a bonus when I can attend a local show on my birthday! As I celebrated my 44th session on this world, I took in one of the last Open Class shows of the 2018 regular season as DCI Championships loomed ahead. I always want to give as much love to the Open Class corps as possible as they don’t get as much attention as the World Class corps do.
The Innovations in Brass show in Akron, Ohio, was my first live drum corps experience of the 2018 season, both as a spectator and as a performer with Rhythm In BLUE. This led to some interesting logistical issues when it came time for my live coverage, but I was able to make it work, as you will see below.
Now that, at least for me, the 2018 drum corps season is over, I thought it would be a good time to take a look back at the shows I saw and reviewed, starting with the very first show of the season, the DCI Tour Premiere cinecast.
Obviously, since I was in a movie theater, I didn’t do any live coverage or photos, but I did write a review of the cinecast for Drum Corps World which appeared in their July 2018 edition. Enjoy!
One of the side benefits of living in the Midwestern United States is that a good portion of the annual DCI tour takes place within driving distance of my home, especially during the final few weeks of the season. After almost a month of no live drum corps blasting my face off, the time is coming for me to get my fix once again. You can join me as I’ll be providing LIVE From the Stands! coverage of the 2017 Legends Drum Corps Open competition in Three Rivers, Michigan on Saturday, July 22nd. If you’ll be at the show, be sure to say hello!
Here’s the drum corps action I’ll be focusing on this week:
- Friday, July 26 – DCI Masters of the Summer Music Games webcast (http://dci.thefannetwork.org/)
- Sunday, July 28 – DCI Southeastern Champioinship webcast (http://dci.thefannetwork.org/)
Both events will have Google Hangouts for live discussion of the shows as they happen. If you’re interested in taking part, let me know via email (kevingamin at gmail dot com).
- Contact Box Center
- General News
- FEATURED ON DCP – First Performance Of Scout House Anniversary Music
- 2013 DCE Championship DVDs Are Ready
- Reactiv Sponsorship Of The Company
- 2013 Hawthorne Caballeros Supporters
- First 2013 Bushwackers Performance
- Tampa Bay Thunder 2013 DCI Atlanta Bus Trip
- 2013 Legends Positions Still Available
- Kaplan Returns For 2nd Season As Raiders’ Drum Major
- 2013 Gold Drumline Exercise Packet
- Weinstein Joins Spirit Of Atlanta As Corps Advisor
- YEA Assistant Director Of Fundraising/Alumni Coordinator
- Mandarins Kitchen Volunteers Needed
- Upcoming 2013 Pioneer Recruitment Opportunities
- Show Announcements
- Bill Clark Interview
- Camp Reports
- 3/8-3/10: 2013 7th Regiment March Camp Information
- 3/10: 2013 Gold Open Brass And Percussion Rehearsal
- 3/10: 2013 VK March Rehearsal Information
- 3/23-3/24: 2013 Tampa Bay Thunder March Camp Information
- 3/24: 2013 Kilties Spring Preview Concert
- 3/27: Vanguard Cadets Pizza Night
- 4/14: Puttin’ For PC Fundraiser
- 6/24: 2013 Pacific Procession Information
- 7/25: 2013 Spirit Of Atlanta Sounds Of Summer Information
- DCP Commentary
Next Sunday (2/24/13), I will be at Warren Central High School in Indianapolis, Indiana, to review the WGI color guard regional taking place there. Prelims are Saturday but I’ll be traveling and visiting family in the area. The Finals event starts at 9 Sunday morning and goes until about 5 and will feature many of the top guards from the Midwest at every competitive level. If you’ll be there, either as a spectator or with a competing unit, come find me. I’ll have my Glassmen corps jacket, covered in patches for easy recognition, plus my iPad and/or laptop for taking notes about the shows.
You can find more information about the regional at the WGI website:
If you won’t be there, be sure to follow me on the various social networks for one-shot thoughts on each unit. You can find all of my social networking goodness here:
See you next Sunday!
I got about halfway through recording the first Box Center of the new year when my PC crashed. Even though I had saved my recording up to nearly that point, the crash corrupted the file and was not recoverable. I will attempt to record the show again tomorrow. Watch for it in your iTunes or podcast client.
For Apple fans around the world, this week is about as close to an international holiday as a non-religious event can get. The fun starts this Wednesday, September 19, as the latest iteration of the iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad operating system, iOS 6, is made available for public download. As with each previous release of the OS, iOS 6 promises many new features and one interesting omission. I have had the chance to load the Gold Master of iOS 6, which is pretty much the final version of the operating system released to developers, on my iPhone 4 and have been playing with it for the past few days, so I can give you an idea of what to expect when you pull the trigger and upgrade your iDevice in the near future.